Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Creation Museum vs. Denver Museum of Nature and Science

I believe we talked about the Creation Museum in class last Thursday, and I decided to look it up on my own.

The museum is in Kentucky and it "brings the pages of the Bible to life." I surfed their web page a bit and the 2-3 hour tour through the exhibit seems pretty fascinating. One exhibit explains how dinosaurs were placed on Earth, and another talks about how "natural selection...is not an example of evolution in the molecules-to-man sense." There is also a simulated Noah's Arc construction site.

This is definitely a different museum than the one I grew up going to. My parents always took me to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science where we walked through exhibit after exhibit of dinosaurs and fossils. Evolution always fascinated me as a little girl, and I definitely wonder how I would've viewed the world differently if my parents had taken me to the Creation Museum instead.

I also remember the Denver Museum of Nature and Science put a huge emphasis on other cultures, like the Egyptians and other Ancient Civilizations. I wonder if children who are brought to the Creation Museum get a sense of the broader cultures of the world around them, rather than just focusing on the Biblical History and Christianity.

If I were a strict Christian parent, I might consider taking my child to both museums so they can get a taste of both worlds and decide for themselves which one makes more sense and satisfies their questions about the world best.

Here are some photos of the Creation Museum and the link to their website:



Creation Museum, Kentucky

In contrast, here is the Denver Museum of Nature and Science that I grew up knowing and loving as a kid:




Denver Museum of Nature and Science

No comments:

Post a Comment