Monday, January 28, 2013

King David and "Hallelujah"

The other day me and my mom were listening to the song "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen. I had heard the song a million times (and was often quite annoyed that my mom listened to it so much) but this time was different. My mom started telling me the story of King David and his affair with the military general's wife, Bathsheba, and how Cohen was clearly referencing it in his song "Hallelujah." I think what Cohen was getting at is the fact that love is not always the easy, breezy ride we expect it to be, but instead it's a "cold and it's a broken hallelujah." All Cohen ever learned from love was "how to shoot at someone who outdrew you" which refers to the fact that the military general, Uriah the Hittite, outdrew David (by having the beautiful Bathsheba as his wife). To win the woman, David had Uriah sent to the front lines of his army so he would be killed. This teaches us all something about the human psyche: often lust breeds possession which breeds murder. I feel the song is an important representation of this story in the Bible and it really leads us to think about our own lives. I've included the youtube video of Leonard performing "Hallelujah," as well as the link to 2nd Samuel 11, which is the story of King David and Bathsheba. I hope the story brings the song to a whole new level like it did for me!
2nd Samuel 11

No comments:

Post a Comment