Wednesday, March 6, 2013

J.K. Rowling, A Christian?

Surprise! Turns out J.K. Rowling actually is a Christian and believes in God, but she didn't want to reveal this to her audience for fear they would expect the endings to her books. When asked if she was Christian, here's what she has to say:

“Yes, I am,” she says. “Which seems to offend the religious right far worse than if I said I thought there was no God. Every time I've been asked if I believe in God, I've said yes, because I do, but no one ever really has gone any more deeply into it than that, and I have to say that does suit me, because if I talk too freely about that I think the intelligent reader, whether 10 or 60, will be able to guess what's coming in the books.”

Interesting, eh?  She also says that she doesn't believe in magic, only the magic that takes place in her books. Hopefully this helps clarify the widely held belief among Christians that the Harry Potter series actually endorses witchcraft...

I got these quotes from an interview Rowling had with Evan Solomon and excerpt from an article called the Vancouver Sun by Max Wyman.

No comments:

Post a Comment